Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Mr. Wrong's Mother...

I saw Mr. Wrong and Robert’s mother this evening. I suppose anyone who would read this would make the deduction that they share the same mother, seeing that they are fraternal twins. Well, one would have to be a complete moron not to see that they would share the same mother and father. But, then again, people these days don’t seem to have a great deal of intelligence if you know what I mean…

She warmly embraced me and asked how I’ve been. I smiled before deciding to answer that question. I mean, really, how do you answer that question? I wasn’t going to tell her how I’ve really been. So, I did what seems to be second nature to me. I lied. It’s really what I seem to do the best…

“I’ve been doing quite well. There have been a few bumps in the road lately, but that’s to be expected. It’s part of life. Also, I think it has to do with me being at the age I am…”

“Of course, honey… I just wish my sons could have gotten it at the age you have, staying clean…”

“Well, they’re clean now,” I said somewhat sharply, not being able to stop myself from defending them.

“Who knows how long it will last. I’ve seen you around Robert a few times, lately. You’ve met my other son?”


For a moment my heart literally stopped beating. Of course I had met her other son. It was nice of her to put it in such a delicate fashion. If you wanted to place it in those terms one might say I had met her other son quite a few times.

“Yes, I have. I’m glad he’s doing well. Excuse me, I see Jessica. I’ve been meaning to have a word with her all night…”

I excused myself and walked away. I didn’t want to tell her anything, what had been really going on. If she really knew the woman would not openly embrace me. Good God no! So, I talked with Jessica about one hundred meaningless sons when I was thinking about Mr. Wrong’s mother and the one thing I couldn’t tell her…

I couldn’t walk over to her and tell her how much I care about both of her sons and how one means more than the other. I could never tell her how it would kill me to have to ever choose one over the other, because they both mean so much to me.

But, there will come the day where I won’t have either of them, or I will have to choose one of them. The thought of not having them both in my life, the way I want them to be, kind of kills me. I guess my problem in life is I want everything to go my way and for everyone to not only accept that, but be perfectly happy with it…

No comments: